This post from Dr. Steven W. Haywood in Timonium is about the American Dental Association. You have probably seen the ADA logo on products like toothpaste and floss—but what else do you know about this dental association?
The ADA’s purpose is to improve the level of public oral health by supporting the dental industry through not-for-profit federal, state, and local societies. It was formed in 1859 and is run by its members, which currently total over 160,000.
The ADA Seal of Acceptance is not an endorsement of a product per se, but rather is a confirmation of the assertions made by said product. Companies who want the ADA credential for a product must submit proof of rigorous scientific testing. Once submitted, the ADA re-tests the product to further verify results. There are currently over 300 products with the ADA seal.
The ADA does more than assess dental products. Here are some other ways the ADA works to discharge its mission:
- Provides resources to support dentists and their practices
- Educates the public about oral health
- Works to maximize access to dental care
- Offers guidance on essential issues that influence the dental industry
- Collaborates with other organizations on scientific research projects and public health initiatives
- Offers scholarships to dental students
At Dr. Steven W. Haywood in Timonium, we also promote dental health. We are a holistic practice, and offer a full range of general dentistry services. Schedule your next checkup with us today.
Contact Dr. Steven W. Haywood:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
108 W Timonium Rd Ste 200