Dental health and a brilliant smile depend on more than simply brushing regularly. In this post from Dr. Steven W. Haywood in Timonium, we present a quick refresher on important lifestyle practices that affect oral health.
You are probably familiar with most of these recommendations, but it helps to get a reminder once in a while. We encourage all of our patients to maintain a lifestyle that promotes dental health as well as overall physical health. After all, the two are inseparable.
- Eat a nutritious diet.
- Eat calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that attack enamel.
- Brush gently but meticulously at least twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Make sure you clean thoroughly between teeth with dental floss or interdental cleaners such as flossing picks.
- Get your teeth professionally cleaned twice a year.
- Have a dental examination twice yearly.
- Eat a sugar frequently. Sugar triggers the production of cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel.
- Snack throughout the day. This speeds up plaque production and subjects the teeth to constant bombardment with acids.
- Chew on ice.
- Use your teeth as tools. Ever!
- Drink energy drinks.
- Get oral piercings.
- Ignore tooth pain or sensitivity.
At Dr. Steven W. Haywood in Timonium, we are committed to dental excellence and the dental health of each one of our patients. Services include general and cosmetic dentistry. Schedule your next checkup today.
Contact Dr. Steven W. Haywood:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):